Saturday, January 9, 2010

Gluten and Dairy Free, Vegetarian Oat Patties and Oven Roasted Herb Potatoes

My husband is mostly vegetarian and I myself only like to eat meat a couple times a week, so I'm always looking for vegetarian food that is gluten and dairy free and that my kids (especially my picky eater) will eat. Oat patties are another favorite around here. Pretty easy to make and you can put a variety of different things in them. I usually make them for dinner one night and than we use them to make sandwiches the next day.

Vegetarian, gluten and dairy free oat patties
2 cups gluten free oats
1 cup boiling water
1 medium sweet onion
3 eggs
1 - 2 tsp salt, depending on how salty you like your food
Fresh or dried herbs, tonight I used fresh oregano, thyme and rosemary
1 TBSP crushed garlic
Optional - you can add grated carrot, potato, chopped celery, green onions, etc
Olive oil for cooking

Put oats in a bowl and add boiling water. Let stand till oats soak up water. Add onion, eggs, garlic and seasonings, stir thoroughly. Heat olive oil in a well seasoned cast iron skillet (or frying pan if you prefer). Drop spoonfuls of oat mixture in hot oil and cook over medium heat until golden and crispy, flip and repeat. Serve hot with gravy or ketchup or use as meat substitute in sandwiches.

I like to serve oat patties with potatoes of some kind. Oven roasted potatoes are super easy and can bake without my attention while I am cooking the patties. Tonight I added a bunch of chopped fresh herbs, as my window herb pot was trying to take over my kitchen sink.




Oven Roasted Herb Potatoes
Red Potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
Fresh or dried herbs chopped or crushed
Olive oil
Sea Salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss potatoes with herbs, olive oil and salt. Spread out on cookie sheet and put in hot oven. Bake approximately 20 - 30 minutes, stirring once or twice.


Here it is all put together with peas and refrigerator pickles


It still amazes me how she can eat so much!

Can't get enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment