Thursday, January 7, 2010

Simple Does it

In a culture where more is better and everyones lifetime goal is to leave a mark on the world, it can be disorienting to live a simple life. At least it is disorienting for those on the outside looking in. For me it is refreshing, relieving and essential for happiness. The more simple my life, the more in tune I am with real living. When I eat simple food I am more aware of how my body feels and I eat when I am hungry, not to escape or to not feel what I'm feeling, etc. When I surround myself with simple, handmade things, instead of the constant clutter of stuff our culture supports, I can hear my thoughts and am aware of my true feelings and where they are coming from. When I spend my time playing with my family, reading good books and listening to positive music... same thing. I am here, present, able to really take part in life.

Our dream has been to live way out, in the country, off grid, away from the distractions of our culture. Instead of this dream becoming a reality when we thought we were so close, we have been led back to a big city. But we are realizing that we can live this simple life we so crave even here amidst the chaos. We don't believe in perfection, but we do whole-heartedly believe that we can make a lasting difference for our mother earth, our sanity and our children. One choice at a time we can make a new world!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You sound just like my wife!

    Tara is right. It really seems to be one of the cornerstones in our ever-expanding happiness. Moving into a smaller house with only two tiny closets has been the best thing for us. We HAD to downsize.

    Next stop, Yurt!

    ReplyDelete