Friday, January 8, 2010

A very yummy GF/CF/sugar free dinner... including cranberry scones to die for!!!

Another, easy to get the kids to eat, meal that I make often is pasta primavera made with rice pasta and whatever veggies I have on hand. Tonight I made it with De Boles Gluten Free Rice Angel Hair pasta and when I started eating it I had to go and get the box out of the trash to really make sure it was gluten free. This pasta was just as good as any wheat pasta I've had!
The recipe is simple.

Gluten Free Pasta Primavera
2-3 cups chopped veggies (asparagus, sweet peppers, onions, mushrooms, green beans, broccolli, peas, etc)
1TBSP crushed garlic
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
8 oz rice pasta, boiled until tender and rinsed with cold water

Heat olive oil in a skillet or wok. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes. Add other veggies and sautee over medium heat until veggies are tender but not soggy. Add prepared pasta and cook until pasta is warm throughout. Salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

The veggies before adding pasta.


The finished product!

I usually make muffins or cornbread to go with a main dish like this. Today I was looking for a muffin recipe when I stumbled across these scones. I decided to take my own spin on them since we are not only gluten free, but casein and processed sugar free.
This is what I did and it turned out fabulous!!!
Gluten, Casein, Sugar Free Cranberry Scones
1 & 1/4 cup brown rice flour
3 & 1/2 TBSP tapioca flour
2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
3 tsp guar gum
1 tsp sea salt
3 TBSP raw agave nectar
1/4 cup ghee
1/4 cup olive oil
2 eggs
1 tsp gf vanilla extract
1 tsp gf orange extract
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup dry cranberries
1 egg beaten for egg wash
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl (I put it all in my stand mixer). Mix liquids in a separate bowl and add to the dry ingredients. Mix on medium speed until well blended. Fold in cranberries. Lay dough out on counter floured with rice flour. Pat out into a circle shape about an inch thick. Cut in 8 wedges and paint wedges with egg wash. Put wedges on a rice floured cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with ghee or margarine and jam.

They even look beautiful!


And put it together for the perfect meal!

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Is brown rice flour the same as sweet rice flour? If not where do you get sweet rice flour? I just went to a new grocery store the other day called Metropolitan Market... very cool with lots of different items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brown rice flour is not the same as sweet rice flour. I don't usually use sweet rice flour as I find brown rice flour gives everything a better flavor. Bob's Red Mill has a packaged sweet rice flour and white rice flour. Azure sells the white rice flour and brown rice flour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip! I want to venture out more into the GF world... I have ordered some Montina from Azure and some guar gum but wanted to get a few other flours to mix in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not fond of Montina, but let me know what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete