Thursday, January 7, 2010

"Mama, I need slippers!"

This morning on our way to school (an in-home montessori childcare), Liam informed me that he needed slippers for "work". I've been meaning to get him some, but I never think about it when I'm around somewhere that I could actually find slippers. But today he was adamant about getting slippers and wanted to go the store "right now!" Michael and I have decided to really try to buy only a couple pre-chosen things (like new shoes for Michael's new job in the OR) new. We want to really try to get what we need used or repurpose old items into what we need. So I told Liam that I would try and make him some slippers. I dropped him off and came home and looked through my stash. I found a piece of leather from a repurposed leather jacket and some wool sweater scraps.

I used one of Liam's snow boot inserts for sizing and made up a pattern in my head. The first slipper took me quite a bit longer than the second as it took me a while to figure out the logistics of how it would fit.


They looked pretty cute by themselves, but I couldn't wait to get Liam from school so I could try them on him!


I had a hard time getting Liam to stand still for a picture... he loved them so much he was dancing around! He calls them his "lizard" shoes (thats how he says wizard). They are a little big, but that just means he can wear them for a long time!


No comments:

Post a Comment